Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The emergency brakes are cable operated and is part of the Ford Chassis, so it is best to take the RV to someone that works on Fords.

The problem with them - as it is with all emergency brakes (on all brands of cars) is if they are not used enough, the cable can freeze up (rust, corrosion, etc). I try to "excersize" all of my emergency brakes on all of my vehicles (including the RV) at least once a month to keep them operating properly, which so far, has kept them working well.

It might be more of a problem in Michigan though where we have salt on the roads for several months of the year, but I think lack of use is the culprit with these brakes regardless of environment.

My mechanic - whom I trust - has fixed my emergency brakes on two vehicles so far, and the only option is to replace the cable. He warns against lubricating them as he said that only causes dirt and grime to stick to the cable, and it can make the problem worse.

I don't know if he is telling me the truth - but as I said I trust him. And I don't want to attempt spraying lubricant on the cables and find out he is right.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum