Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 03:22 AM   #4
Jbird_in_SC

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
Challenger 37TB Driver and Passenger Window Leak

Apologize in advance for a long note, but want to share details in the event it helps others. I imagine you can easily test this scenario with a garden hose and spraying water near the top of the roof above the front passenger and driver's windows.

Realization and Potential of Issue
We have likely been experiencing this happening since we have owned the coach (August 2016), and just recently noticed the issue while on an extended trip during a heavy rain storm. Unfortunately, I now know these leaks have been happening since it left the assembly line. Ugh, and it was in outdoor storage from months before finding a covered storage unit. I have attached some pictures from a recent heavy rain that lasted off and on for approximately 90 minutes. The bucket you see in one of the pictures, I emptied twice during the ordeal by using sponges and towels. Before my wife and I realized we had the bucket and sponges, we went threw 10, yes 10, beach towels to try and keep up with the water coming from the passenger side. I wanted share so others can get a view of the potential water that is entering your motorhome during a rainstorms if you're experiencing a similar issue.

Description of Problem
The problem appears to be the rain water runs down the roof onto the passenger (or driver's) windows and it drains into the frame of the sliding window ledge. The weatherstripping is inadequate and cannot hold out all of the water. The water appears to go around or under the sliding window and channel through the bottom of the window frame, then surfaces threw the little holes in the front section of the non-sliding window frame (see picture) Call me crazy, but I witnessed this for 90+ minutes. Unbelievable.

On the passenger side, the water then overflows and drains down between the dash and interior wall. From there, it soaks the carpet under the dash near the wall until it until it ultimately drains to the floor. From there, I am not sure if it drains or simply dries out over time. I have not witness the Driver's side overflow, but I did see water quickly fill up during the aforementioned rain storm when the wind shifted for a few minutes and filled the Driver's window frame holes mentioned above.

Quick / Temporary Fixes
Until we get back home to get this resolved, here is are my two quick fixes. In between rain showers on one leg of the trip, we used 13 gallon trash bags and duct taped over the sliding portion of the exterior window frame. When we could get to a store (happened to be near a Camping World), we picked up a $4.00 clear shower curtain and I cut to fit over the sliding portion of the exterior window frame and used duct tape (see picture). Both fixes made it through heavy rain and 15-20 MPH winds. Make sure the duct tape is sealed well.

Final Thoughts
Obviously, I am not thrilled with this issue, and yes, there have been other "punchlist" items in our first year. With all of that said, we still love our Thor Challenger 37 TB floorplan and do not regret for a minute purchasing it to spend invaluable time with our 10yo daughter and 11yo son.

I'll let everyone know what I learn on the fix from the dealer and Thor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water3small_20170603_161839751.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	5439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water2small_20170603_153618585.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	5440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_TempFix_20170624_172823725.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	5441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_TempFix2_20170624_172823725.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	5442  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum