Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
When I talked to the Valterra people, they recommended using silicone as it allows you to remove the nozzle and clean it if necessary... which is something I'd rather not do. They did indicate that their product is used by various OEM manufacturers; some use silicone, but some use an adhesive sealant.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a suitable product that can effectively glue HDPE. 3M makes some stuff (Scotch Weld) that kind of works, but it is expensive to buy.

They also indicated they have not seen where the silicone has failed as the nozzle is attached to the tank via sheet metal screws so the silicone is just the seal.

And the Camco version recommends using only clear silicone, with an admonition to not substitute it. I don't know what is different between clear silicone and other colors that would make any difference.

I suppose another option is to buy one of those O-Ring kits and make your own O-ring to fit under the flange.

Many of our RVs do have a built-in fresh water flush if you think about it. On my coach for example; the bathroom sink drain is plumbed to the black water tank. I am sure that Thor did this for convenience.

However, you can use Thor's cheap way out to your advantage as you can simply turn on the bathroom sink while you are flushing the black tank and viola; a built in flush system via the bathroom sink.

Of course not all bathroom sinks are likely plumbed into the holding tank; it depends on the RV model. But check and see if either your shower drain or bathroom sink drain goes into the black tank.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum