Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Based on pulling a heavy fiver with the new Ford 6.7 diesel, and now traveling cross country in a MH equipped with this gasser V-10, I probably will not be making any mods to the engine. I have read about the 5-star tune and other mods for these engines but you are never going to make them perform like a diesel.

When we were full time and putting over 20,000 miles on a year traveling the diesel was the way to go, and it would not have mattered it we were pulling a fiver or driving a large MH. When it came time to be part time travelers, maybe 4 months max and less than 8,000 miles a year, then for my money gas was the way to go because it was hard to justify the extra expense of a diesel engine.

IMHO the V10 unmodified will get me up and down the hills/mountains just fine. It is a proven reliable engine I can put some miles on and do a little of the servicing on myself.
When I put the 5-Star on our Super Duty I was fully aware that it would never be a Diesel. Just wanted to eek out that little extra performance--besides the real benefit of the 5-Star tune is the transmission shift point modifications.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.