Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #19
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
While most towed vehicles are done all wheels down, I really struggled with the decision to dolly or dingy tow. And while I eventually decided to dinghy tow (4 wheels down), a couple of times throughout the process of outfitting it, I kind of wondered if I had made the correct decision.

It all really comes down to personal preference, but mostly the capability of your tow vehicle. There are disadvantages and advantages to both methods.

Dolly towing does take more setup each time you tow for sure. And there is some degree of un-sprung weight on the tow vehicle which could result in handling issues, as well as a heavier tow system (dollys add both tongue weight and several hundred pounds of towed weight to the system).

Dinghy towing on the other hand is easier to connect-disconnect, but you then have issues with braking systems, dead batteries, tail-lights, and wear-and-tear on the transmission (especially if towing an automatic transmission).

Cost differential between the two systems may or may not be an issue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum