Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I put a 1000 Watt pure sine wave inverter in my ACE 27.1. I wanted to be able to power the TVs and entertainment/Internet/LAN equipment from the battery either down the road or when boondocking. I located the output cable coming out of the breaker box that was the "receptacle" cable and wired the output of the inverter into it with a DPDT switch. The switch allows me to select either the inverter or the breaker panel as the source for everything on the receptacles line. Since the inverter has 2 output plugs, if I needed to do the same thing to a separate line coming out of the breaker box I could.
Ok, that's even easier than auto transfer (DPDT would replace auto transfer switch), which I don't really need. Not looking for redundancy, just options.

So, what I'm reading here, which sounds exactly what I need is that you have the power from the breaker box (that would normally feed the outlets) going to the DPDT switch. You also have the inverter output going to the DPDT switch, and then the output from the DPDT switch is the original line feeding the outlets (assuming there is only one).

So, when on shore power the DPDT switch is set to shore power, when you want to energize the outlets via the inverter, you switch the DPDT to the inverter position and your outlets are now on the inverter. Correct?

Do you have a separate switch turning your inverter on/off so that it doesn't drain the batter when you are off of shore power and don't need the power, or does the whole coach disconnect (usually by steps) kill the power to the inverter as well?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.