Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing help
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
When searching for info on Invisbrake installs, I came across a number of threads (other forums) talking about issues with the Invisibrake, such as brake locks and such. If I was following it correctly, they were saying it was happening not when towing, but driving the toad. Have you seen anything on that?
Check the dates on those threads.... A 2015 reply from Roadmaster from another forum indicating the problem was corrected in 2012:
Quote:
If the towed car's wiring diodes are in a location that allows the input terminals to get wet, then it is possible for electricity to migrate through the water between the diode terminals thereby energizing the braking system.

Because the current has to flow through water, the voltage is low. So we solved this "wet diode" problem by changing the amount of voltage required to turn the braking system on. We did this in March of 2012 so this should not be a concern for anything produced after this date.

If anyone experiences this on an older model of braking system, an easy solution is to seal the diodes so water cannot conduct electricity between the input terminals of the diode. If there is no shorting between terminals, there is no current to energize the system.

--
David Robinson
Roadmaster, Inc.
Old problems never die on the internet... lol... also see reports of Brake Buddy locking up while towing, etc... Everything fails for someone.

If GMC had make a similar change to their vehicles - my 2008 Acadia wouldn't have been totaled by insurance after a water intrusion 2 weeks ago deployed airbags while the car was off, parked, and locked...
(no - my 'gmc' name on the forum has nothing to do with 'GMC' the automaker... just my initials.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum