Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #20
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Now that I officially have a deposit down, I want to start making a list of what and when I want to do certain things. I'm probably going to limit some work until after a bit of a shake down period, so I don't confuse add on work with factory defects.

A few questions.

1. I believe this answer is yes, but it's only alluded to in Ed's manual. There is an automatic transfer switch to have the generator start if you lose shore power. Correct? Since I see no mention of an auto mode in the manual, I assume it will maybe be an auto switch on the generator itself.

2. If I wanted to temporarily use small inverter(s) for temp use, are there any 12v plugs in the bedroom area (25.3) or would I have to have 12v plugs installed to use portable inverters (or even the 12v adapters available for things like Cpap machines)? Does the USB plugs in the bedroom output 5v or 12v (or autoswitch to either one)? If 12v, is there a USB to 12v cigarette type plug adapter (even if so, not sure what the amp load issue would be)?

3. If I opted to swap out the inside TVs with 12v varieties, is there an easy way to get them power? How would I go about wiring them in?

4. What about powering direcTV receivers with 12v?
1) Answered by Jamie... To clarify there IS an automatic transfer switch - but its function is to switch between and isolate shore power and generator power... There is no AGS - automatic generator start - on Axis/Vegas.

2) Can't speak to if there is one there - but as for inverter vs 12v adapter - look at what ever device you want to power... if it has an external adapter (brick) that outputs 12v DC - then you can directly power the device from 12v - and don't need an inverter...
At least some cpap machines are that way...

USB plugs SHOULD only put out 5v... There are commercial 'step up' adapters that convert to 12v... likely very low current (as you will more than double the draw of the device when stepping 5V to 12v... it ain't 'free'...

3) TVs are very low draw (assuming LCD of course)... I added a 12v tv in bedroom. In my case I didn't have an outlet available - but 12v lighting wires were right there... spliced into those to power the tv and blu ray.

4) See my answer to number 2... in my case, all my home DirecTV equipment (main DVR, wireless bridge, wireless genies) all have a brick delivering 12v DC to the units - so could be directly powered by the RV 12v supply. Verify your own - as no warranties are expressed or implied...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum