Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
comparison of RV industry quality to other industries

I posted this on another forum, but it relates to another current thread here so I thought I'd share my thoughts here too.... apologies if you are reading this twice....

I was recently thinking about all the times I have read threads, and even had thoughts myself, about the general lack of quality in the RV industry. Poorly designed features, inferior materials used, poor QC, etc....

This struck me as I was checking out a leaky thumb latch in my outside storage bin door.... trying to figure out if I had rotted wood in the core of the door....
and I found that the door is made from a styrofoam cup, clad with some nice looking skin, but what makes things worse, there is nothing of structure for the locks and latches to tighten against so as the foam compresses, the latches are always coming loose...
just poor materials and poor design.
I was expecting to see untreated wood core, which would have been just if bad or probably worse. (what does it say that this is what I was expecting from Thor???)

Now I believe in the idea that you read far more posts about problems and complaints than you do about happy experiences, but that's just because people don't write about happy stuff as much....
But I think it's pretty much agreed that there are plenty of examples of bad QC, plenty of examples of mediocre materials used, mediocre designed areas in an RV, etc....

Anyway, I started to think about how it might compare to other product industries, particularly vehicles.

Automotive- much higher volumes, and I feel like much better thought designs, better quality materials, and not without fault BUT better qc overall

Marine - This seems like the best comparison to me. I grew up around boats and boating, but never new, and rarely larger cabin class stuff, so I just don't know..... what say you marine buffs out there?

Tractors/Ag Equipment; Motorcycles; etc.... - based on what I have seen I would group these as similar to automotive....

General Aviation Aircraft - clearly held to higher standards

Any other examples?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum