Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Moving On
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Bill, I feel bad for all your problems. But even though you paid $100,000 for that brand new RV you have to keep your expectations realistic. There is the "way it should be" and then there "is the way it is" when it comes to the RV industry. Your coach probably actually cost about $45,000 to make, so start by basing your expectations on that. Remember, you didn't buy a $100,000 automobile, you bought an RV.

Your List:
Air bag light on (Back to Dealer)
In dash radio extremely poor reception (Back to Dealer)
Coach radio extremely bad reception (Back to Dealer)
Coach blue ray only plays standard DVDs (Probably a setting)
Screen door rattles enough to drive you nuts (Fix myself, probably simple adjust)
Passenger seat belt locks up on shoulder preventing movement (adjustment)
Wood panels on both sides of slide out sofa fell off Fix myself)
Roof leaked, skylight leaked real bad (Fix myself)
Rooftop AC and interior 120v quit (needs power transfer switch replaced)(Dealer)
LP regulator quit in first week (replaced on the road)
Two cargo latches malfunctioning (fix myself)
Wipers fail to contact/clean windshield correctly (fix myself)
Bath door screws fell out (fix myself)
Bath shelf/ 4-5 screws fell out (fix myself)
Toilet lid won't stay in open position/lid drops on its own (adjust or replace myself)
Coach door misaligned? See daylight at bottom corner, handle hard to operate at times.(adjust myself)

I will be the first one to admit that generally speaking the RV industry lacks quality control. But you have to remember that we drive these things down some pretty rough highways and shake the crap out of them while doing it. Things will move, flex, and come apart. If you plan on traveling in an RV across country then you need some tools and willingness to make simple repairs and adjustments on the go. If you expect dealers and RV shops to take care of everything then you will be very disappointed because there just isn't that good of a support system out there.

I spend 30 minutes or so every day after traveling just looking different things over. I look under my coach and inspect the roof every week or 10 days looking for problems before they start. To me it is no different than being a professional over the road truck driver, you constantly check your equipment and make adjustments when needed.

You have a nice new good looking coach. Get the issues taken care of and relax. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. My BIL had issues with his first $130,000 gas coach so they went out and dropped $350,000 for the big DP. They are happy with it now that it is 3 years old but it spent more time at the dealer in the first year than with them on trips.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum