Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Moving On
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Thanks Joe. This is what we and you call FUBAR when all these issues happen on the first trip out of the driveway. They will all get fixed no doubt. Doesn't mean I cant rage in here so I don't kill someone elsewhere! Retired businessman, teacher, army so I'm no snowflake and know how to fix things some people never heard of. Point is we shouldn't have to. America has learned to pay more for less and ignore pride and quality in workmanship. At least in the RV industry. Food for thought.
My sisters and BIL have probably spent the equivalent of 3-6 months at Red Bay having issues fixed on their Tiffen over the last five years. It's WAY out of warranty, but still being covered, because they were all serious manufacturing fubars.

My Cousin has a VERY expensive Renegade Ikon and it was delivered with numerous problems that had to be fixed.

From what I can tell, all the entry level/budget coaches (Thor, Forest River, Winnebago -- not too many that aren't owned by these three now) typically have problems ranging from small to large. But, the so called "higher end" coaches more times than not also have minor, and not to uncommon, major issues, coming out of the factories as well.

Even though I wasn't totally crazy about the floor plans, I had read so much great stuff about Phoenix Cruiser in terms of quality that I came really close to pulling the trigger on a 2551/2552 twin bed model. Before doing so, I joined their forum to ask some questions about customizing, and low and behold, I can customers with similar problems to what we read about on Thor coaches. Maybe not quite as bad, as I think overall their slow, build one at a time (sort of) approach leads to better quality, but fact is they have leaking slides, manufacturing mistakes covered up with wood colored tape, electrical problems, workers that didn't read the build sheet and installed wrong options or wrong locations, etc.

Therefore, while I will probably be irritated when my new coach arrives and there are issues, I am going into this with my eyes open and know that if my coach doesn't have a bunch of problems, I will be the exception, not the rule.

So, with that said, I'm not planning an epic journey out of the gate, but instead, a series of small shake down cruises (a weekend at a state part 45 minutes away so I can just head home if things go south), a trip up to MI to get Bigfoot levelers installed, etc. My focus in the early months will be about finding and fixing or having fixed issues, so that hopefully in 3-6 months (or next spring), I can really enjoy the coach.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum