Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One huge distinction is that the auto industry has a lot of automation, wherein both RVs and boats are typically hand-built. Boat factory workers probably make $1 per hour more than their RV counterparts, except for the exotic brands (which no one can afford). Those are true craftsmen. If you want to see some beautiful boats, look at the VanDam brand of boats (made in Boyne City, Michigan).

I have always had boats it seems, from a small 8ft skiff when I was 18yr old, to my last boat, which was a 32ft Carver that met it's demise in a storage building fire in 2013. In between, we have owned 14, 16, 18, 22, and 26ft boats, aluminum fishing boats, fiberglass bow-riders, a cuddy cabin, express cruiser, motoryacht, outboards, inboard/outboards, inboards, single engine, dual engine, counter-rotating props, you name it, we have owned almost every style of boat made.

Our 28Z is the second RV we have had, having owned a pop-up camper in the 1980s.

Comparing boats to RVs, there are a lot of similarities, but I'd give the edge to boats. However, boats typically cost more than RVs so perhaps there is more room to price in a certain level of quality. For example, a 32ft Class A motorhome is typically around $150k or under, depending on brand and options, but a new 32ft cabin cruiser style boat will set you back at least $250k. Of course, part of the cost differential is the cruiser will likely have two engines.

Another thing that gives boats somewhat of an advantage is the US Coast Guard, which has minimum regulations for things like electrical systems and wiring, ventilation, safety, and actually quite a bit of stuff. These regulations are actually federal law, so boat builders are compelled to build boats to a minimum standard that RVs seem to be exempt from.

But there are horror stories with boats as well. For example, a common issue with boats is blistering, which when you put a boat into water for awhile, the fiberglass can swell and actually blister. The reasons for blistering are numerous, but it comes down to basically construction methods and skill level of the boat builders.

Boat manufacturers consider blisters cosmetic, and will really not do much about it. In fact, at least one manufacturer's manual states to reduce the likelyhood of blisters, keep the boat out of the water!

So in some cases, I see a lot of parallels between boats and RVs, but in other instances, I see where the boating industry is better, but I cannot really think of an instance where RV builders do something better than boat builders.

Another phenomenon with boats is something called bow wander. This is most apparent with deep vee boats with single I/O engines, but at less than planing speeds, the boat will not go straight. This usually occurs with all brands of boats having single I/Os regardless of length and type.

Over the years, I've had my share of broken stringer tabs, leaking windows and hatches, wiring and plumbing problems on my boats. In fact, every time I visited a certain lake, something would break and I'd have to stop by the marina for spare parts.

But RVs and boats both have their premium and budget brands, and with both, you get what you pay for. I suppose in a sense, Thor is the Bayliner of RVs (Bayliner being a cheap boat brand).

There are a lot of parallels also in the gear that boats and RVs use, especially plumbing. I often went to a RV shop if I could not find something at my local West Marine store.

Oh, and boat manuals are not much better than RV manuals. But at least some brands include wiring schematics for their larger boats. But that does not mean the schematics are correct. That old "specifications may change without prior notice" clause seems to include lack of changes to the schematics as well.

Both industries have a certification program. RVs have RVIA (RV Industry Association), while Boats have YABC (Yacht and Boat Council) and NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association). In both cases, the certifications are voluntary. Of course, the USCG regulations are mandatory.

Virtually all boats are built in accordance with YABC as are RV manufacturers with RIVA compliance, which kind of makes you question the validity of such certifications.

Quality-wise though, I'd give the edge to boats, if not for any more reason than the USCG regulations they are compelled to meet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.