Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #27
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Well ... after a couple days of driving on many familiar surfaces with the HD/1000lb Sumo bump stops mounted. I noticed no negative behaviors! Most noted improvement is smoother handling of surface transitions and less rolly polly on patched, uneven, frost heaved roads. Fairly easy comparison because our rig with only a trackbar added, over 2yrs ago now, has had no other chassis mods.

We departed on the freeway into erratic headwinds much like most of our departures where we take the freeway. I could feel and hear the wind hitting the coach from an ever changing direction. My impression was that of slightly less effort needed to stay in lane at around 75mph with wind and vehicles passing at 80+ ... though effort/attention was still needed ... partly because 75 is a bit too fast in those conditions. Quite noticeably less effort and reduced floaty feel on the rough two lane road surfaces we traveled. On the way back we had of course the typical wind conditions where a very comfortable 71mph was "guess/estimate" netting a mph or two more in a relaxed cruising speed (very subjective to conditions e.g. not positive yet, though no complaint). I've driven this route many times in similar, higher and lower wind conditions so I do have decades of driving various RVs on the same roads. But most importantly have continuous input from a very sensitive passenger

My takeaway is; don't be afraid of the HD (1000lb) bump stops if you are front heavy on the E chassis! Pretty cheap and simple to install. Eliminating the bump stop impact is a good experience, for sure on rougher surfaces and I noticed no increased harshness on the smoother road surfaces.

Here's a picture of last night's sunset from our camp chairs ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01822.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	5590  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum