Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I disagree with starting the generator with the AC on. While it is true that the Onan generator has a 30 second delay before it allows the transfer switch to switch over to generator power, as soon as that switch is made, all the systems that are normally on 110v power come on all at once. In my Axis that includes the converter that recharges the batteries, the microwave (at least the clock), the refrigerator, the AC fan and the AC compressor. When I start my AC, I always make sure that my refrigerator is in the gas only mode. After the microwave comes on, indicating that the generator is providing 110v power to the coach systems, I let the generator stabilize with the initial load. The. I turn on the fan and let it run for 30 seconds or so, making sure that the generator is running correctly. Only then do I turn on the AC compressor. Allowing everything to turn on at once puts a tremendous surge onto the transfer switch all at once. The initial AC compressor start up can take one and a half times as many amps as it takes to run the AC unit once it gets started. When you add this to the amp draw of the converter, refrigerator and microwave, you can easily be drawing more amps than the generator is putting out - especially if it is not warmed up and running at full power. Over time, this could damage your AC compressor (brown out) and your transfer switch. While I understand why you want to be able to start the generator/AC while underway, I think you are risking damage to your AC and /or transfer switch that may not show up right away, but over time may "bite you". Just my two cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	5705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	5706  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum