Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS31W
All Thor Four Winds and Chateau Class C motor homes now are rated to tow up to 8000 lbs if built after October 2014.
That is not entirely factual. It is true that Thor installs an 8,000 lb hitch but the unit may not be able to tow all 8,000 lbs.
Using my Axis as an example (which if manufactured after October last year would also have the 8,000 lb hitch): My GCWR is 18,500 lbs. When I took it to the scales it weighed in at 11,500 lbs that means I can only tow 7,000 lbs not 8,000. (Allowable tow weight = GCWR - current weight from a scale.)
When doing these calculations you also have to take into account the tongue weight of whatever you're towing. To do that you subtract the current weight from GVWR. Thus in my case whatever I'm towing cannot have a tongue weight more than 1,000 lbs (my GVWR is 12,500 lbs).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum