Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: preferred toad
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #30
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The thing to keep in mind when towing anything the heavier the towed vehicle the less weight you can safely carry inside the coach because you still have the GCWR that you must be below for safe operation.
Yes, that is true. There is always the weak link you have to consider.

Actually though, there is an interesting story here. The GVWR of E450 chassis since 2011 ihas been 14,500lbs and the CGWR is 22,000lbs, so theoretically 7,500lbs. Of course, you have to account for any weak links such as GAWR, hitch capacity, etc.

In 2011, the CGWR for the E450 was 20,000lbs (5,500lb towing capacity). But if you installed a heat shield (essentially a piece of aluminum clad cardboard), under a connector under the chassis, you can increase the CGWR to 22,000lbs.

Ford published a service bulletin describing this:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-193.pdf

Ford indicated that the reason for the 2,000lb discrepancy is that the theory is when you tow an extra 2,000lbs, the engine works harder - hence the exhaust is at a higher temp. The heat shield protects a connector under the chassis from melting in this situation.

Funny how a piece of cardboard can make a 2,000lb difference.

In 2011, for the RV cutaway chassis, Ford cable-tied the heat shield to the chassis so the RV mfg could install it if they wish. Why Ford just didn't install them to begin with is a mystery to me (but they did install them in later model years).

I checked under my coach and sure enough, it has the heat shield installed.

When I asked Ford if that means my CGWR is 22,000lbs, they said (in lawyer fashion) to contact Thor.

The Thor documentation states for 2011, the CGWR is 20,000lbs, not 22,000lbs. I can only assume that since the print date on the documentation is 2010, they simply did not get the word in time to fix it. In 2012, the documentation states 22,000lbs.

So, since the service bulletin specifies 22,000lbs with the heat shield installed, notwithstanding Ford not wanting to be liable, and Thor's deer in the headlights look, I am going with 22,000lbs as the CGWR of my rig.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum