Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
How do you know if you are driving onto a surface that will not support your rig and you are subject to getting stuck? (e.g. in more remote areas, sand, mud, etc.) or going down a forest service road and running out of road, conditions getting dicey, etc.
I'll tell a little story when I was in my sister's 40' Tiffen. Wife and I drove down with them to Florida to spend some time with my father. He had a small house up the street that he had renovated as a guest house/office. They had confirmed the septic tank was no place near the driveway and all seemed good.

He pulls the Tiffen into the driveway, that appeared to be very hard packed soil, and then at the end a concrete pad (that he was going to have to nose up on). We made it to about the concrete pad when everything gave way and the tires sunk maybe 6", 8" or more. Couldn't pull out, was buried in soft sand below what was actually only a couple inches of hard packed dirt (clearly should have dug some test holes or something).

Took a few hours, but we were able to get it out by putting wood under the levelers, then some wood under tires, then stacked wood a bit higher under levelers, etc. until it was high enough to put plywood under the tires and spread the load.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum