Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I had problems of this type twice with my first motorhome before I learned to take fewer chances.

Once in Key West I went down a long one-way street trying to find parking to later find there were low tree branches I could not drive under (did not see them from a distance). Backing up all the way wasn't an option because there were cars behind me by then. I got out of it by backing up some and then crossing over through a restaurant's parking lot to adjacent street to go back to main road. Before doing that I walked to adjacent street first to make sure street was clear and that I wasn't just going to dig myself a deeper hole.

The second incident was in Smokey Mountains National Park when I started down a dirt trail that only had a weight limit, but soon decided it wasn't wide enough or had height clearance for motorhome. Fortunately I was able to back up 100s of feet very slowly to get out -- there was absolutely no way to make a U-turn.

With my small and low-profile van camper I still take risks to get to where I want, but when driving larger motorhomes which we rent occassionally I stay on main roads, stay out of tight parking lots, and plan way in advance.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.