Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Believe me, a good GPS is absolutely essential, especially in an RV. I have used them all over a Europe and while they are not perfect, they will get you where you want to go 95% + of the time. I started using them in the military and bought one of the first marine ones available for my boat. I like Garmin too, especially the RV line (I have the 760) because you can put in the RV specs and it will (hopefully) Route your around low bridges and underpasses. It will not help with gas stations or hotel canopys, for example, and - like any tool - you should not become too dependent on it or trust it completely. In an RV the GPS is particularily useful because it tells you what lane to be in on multilane roads, so you don't get caught two lanes over and not be able to hit an exit or stay on the road you want to be on. And, if you mess up, it will "recalculate" and get your back on the correct road - usually the easiest and quickest way. I also love the fact that it tells you the speed limit and changes in the speed limit. My eyes are looking so many places when I drive my RV that it is easy to miss changes in the speed limit. Are they perfect - no. In routing you they do not take into account stop lights and stop signs and slow traffic in towns. Sometimes they will take you the long way when there is a short cut and sometimes over a mountain when you didn't want to go there. I always have a paper map and check to make sure "she" is routing me the way I want to go. The traffic portion of the GPS has saved me countless hours of sitting in traffic and the ability to route around accidents and blockages. One other thing, buy one with "lifetime maps". The GPS is only as good as its map base and with lifetime maps you can update your map base several times a year and your GPS can give you many years of service. This is one tool that I will not leave home without. I have even purchased one on the road when I had one die.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.