Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
laberj45

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 33.4 slide issues

Good question......

The problem, in my opinion, is that the full wall slide in he 33.4 Miramar is too large and overweight. This is causing a host of issues and malfunctions that include:

1) slide drift while driving (this was one of our problems)
2) wire chafing - causing malfunctions
3) circuit faults in the sync box
4) general slide failure because of slide out of plumb
5) gear jumping

The Lippert Schwintek 500/1 electric motor system works as it should. It is the responsibility of the RV manufacturer, Thor in our case, to choose the appropriate motor system for the slide. The Schwintek system was a cheaper and lighter alternative to other slide motoring mechanisms. A different system or slide configuration would likely remedy the problem. I have seen alot of short term fixes - that become long term headaches (often times after warranty). The system will fail.

I believe that Thor realized the design flaw and redesigned the Miramar bunkhouse by eliminating the full wall slide and placing the kitchen with the heavy countertops and cabinets, in a non-slide part of the RV. I aso noted that they no longer put kitchens in any of their full wall slides found on still a couple of Miramar models (and a number of Palazzos).

I have spoke to numerous people since my posts of similar slide issues in the Ace and Windsport models manufactured around the same time as ours.

I really would like an expert to weigh in on these issues. No one could fix ours, including Thor - causing us third party intervention and lots of money for resolution.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum