Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #42
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Probably should have updated...
Got the Mobley... $20/month data... AT&T refunded activation fee when I called them after receiving my bill (as they said they would)... I bought the unit outright - so no contract or 'required upgrade' later.

Set to not turn off with no issue (happened to use a laptop - so didn't get the mobile version described in previous post... just dumb luck...)
From what I can tell - the device uses voltage fluctuations to determine if the car is running or not... It has no access to the OBD2 pins other than power and ground - so it is not getting any other signals from the OBD2 port... There appears to be no standard in the auto industry as to whether the OBD2 port remains powered when vehicle is off - in my cases (GM, Ford, Jeep) they do... but yours may be different. Of course power is required to stay on in addition to the setting on the device

Picked up a female OBD2 pigtail from ebay and connected pins 4 (ground) and 16 (12v) to a power socket...
Picked up a USB to 12v adapter also from ebay... USB to 12v power plug.
Grabbed a spare 'brick' transformer from my shop that outputs 12v DC and had matching power plug...
Grabbed one of the many high power AC to USB adapters floating around house...

Can now run the Mobley from any of my vehicles OBD2 connections, plugged into A/C (via brick), powered by 12v battery (direct feed to power socket), or from a 2A USB source (via USB to 12v adapter).

So far been working great.. Used on one RV trip to Fort Wilderness... grandson had internet in the car for his ride home... and using it in my detached shop which has been 'internet challenged' due to the distance from house and construction materials...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum