Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
MoldyOldPeach

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
And I am telling you the "thing" that supplies charging current to the batteries on SP is the same "thing" that supplies it to the batteries when running the generator. So if the batteries really are charging when running the generator, the "thing" is not the problem.

Which leads me to this question:

If the batteries are charged enough to start the generator why aren't they charged enough for you to extend the slide so you can get a better look at things under the bed?

Actually, the Generator won't start because the house batteries (also the engine battery) are all dead. Not just "merely dead" but really most sincerely dead. And here is where my (perhaps false) presumption comes into play. I only KNOW for sure and for certain that the engine alternator charges the house batteries (if I can start the engine, which I can't right now-dead chassis battery). I do NOT absolutely know that the Generator will charge the house batteries, and I presume that it will. Since buying the coach, it seems that the only way to keep the house batteries charges is to drive the RV (and possibly -?- run the Generator).

I understand what you told me.... I just don't think that the shore power converter/charger has ever properly charged the house batteries.

I have the house batteries completely disconnected and on a deep-cycle external battery charger at the moment. Assuming (yeah, I know) that I can get the engine or Generator running to be able to maintain some battery in order to run out the bedroom slide, I can go on an expedition to locate the converter/charger and verify whether it functions or not.

With that info in hand, it will be back to the dealer for warranty-related issue or issues. My less than optimal past experience with them, is that I have to be somewhat firm about what the problem is, or I get an annoying, "there, there, now don't worry about a thing" pat on my head, and the coach spends ANOTHER two weeks in their shop while they bicker with Thor. Nobody seems to able to use the bathroom without a "factory warranty authorization." Took them 10 days to fix my leveling jack controller, which had been installed backwards at the Thor factory; another 5 days for them to replace a slide motor whose mount they had improperly mounted so it stripped the gears.

I really need to be able to say, "that thing there is broken.... fix it or replace it!"

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum