Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Gps
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #28
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I'm happy to read that! I just purchased a Garmin RV660 LMT also. It was significantly less expensive than the 770/760 models, and the difference in features didn't appear worth it to me. Haven't Road tested it yet, hope to next week.
Mike; I hope your RV660 works better for you than it has for me to date. There appears to be a serious problem it its routing algorithms. Some examples:

When traveling from Tampa, Fl area to Omni Resort at Championsgate on I4, it routed us off the interstate at US27, to Ronald Reagan Pkwy, to Osceola Polk Line Rd when we should have continued on I4 directly to Osceola Polk Line Rd.

It doesn't want to route me to my residence along the main road from the north even though there are no height/weight restrictions on that road. It always wants me to travel 10 miles out of my way to approach my neighborhood from the south.

Last weekend we traveled from Lake City, FL to Hanna Park in Jacksonville Beach, Fl. Even though we started from the east side of Lake City, it wanted me to travel west to US 441 to go north to I10 to go east to Jacksonville instead of just taking US90 east to I10 to Jacksonville. Since I ignored it and went that way anyway it finally caught on and changed the route, but instead of continuing on the road I was on to US90 (Baya Ave), it wanted me to take a direct left through a neighborhood to get to US90.

The good news is: it was smart enough to route us around downtown Jacksonville on I295. BUT!! it insisted we needed to take the ferry across the St. Johns river to Mayport instead of taking I295 across the river and 116 directly into Hanna Park.

It also wanted us to take the ferry home even though we were already on 116 west. The ferry would have cost $35 each way and added 30 to 45 minutes to the trip.

So use it as an input to your trip planning, but get other inputs as well.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.