Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Windsport Battery & Wiring Mods

When we picked up our used 15 Windsport 27K I was disappointed to find only 1 deep cycle house battery installed which I think is insufficient. I had three 79AH AGM batteries I kept from our previous MH. Unfortunately Thor in their wisdom had made it impossible to install all three in the compartment.

So I set about modifying (and improving) the house battery situation in the compartment. So for anyone who wants to make the same modifications, here is my documentation of the project.

First off, before doing anything, disconnect both the house batteries and the chassis battery. There are major currents in those big cables and they can do some real damage if they accidently get grounded. Then take lots of pictures you can refer to later when you forget where everything connected. Labeling cables also helps if you are forgetful like me.

Here is the situation before with two of my AGM batteries installed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_Batteries_Before.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	873.2 KB
ID:	6107

And here is the space for the 3rd battery, but Thor mounted two pieces of equipment in the space, so they need to be moved. Each piece had two ears for bolting down, but Thor only bolted down one ear. Saving 2 cents of a bolt and 15 seconds. Sheesh!

Name:	Before_3rd_Battery_Space.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	936.0 KB
ID:	6108

The wiring to this controller was sloppy and just waiting for a problem to occur

Name:	Before_Controller_Wiring.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	924.4 KB
ID:	6109

So I zip tied the wires together and put inside a plastic loom cover.

Name:	After_Controller_Wiring.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	974.0 KB
ID:	6110

Now I moved and mounted the controller up on the compartment right sidewall out of the way using pilot holes and self taping screws.

Name:	After_Controller_Mounting.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	987.4 KB
ID:	6111

Same with the chassis/house batteries isolation contactor.

Name:	After_Contacter_Mounting.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	906.8 KB
ID:	6112

(Continued on Next Post)
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum