Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
keith herrington

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Our first trip in our new Quantum RS26

I've been posting on this Forum since we bought our new Quantum RS26 in March 2017. I contributed some to the quality control discussion at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...thor-8458.html and described what I did to the chassis to improve its handling at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rs26-7181.html. The most interesting problem I've had is hot air blasting into the cab from underneath the vehicle. You can read about my solution to the problem at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rs26-7179.html.

However, this discussion is much more upbeat. We are three days into our first real trip. My wife and I, along with our 4 year old one-eyed cat and our 10 year old Beagle are two days into a week long trip. We just finished driving from Charlottesville, VA to Mexico, NY, a trip of over 500 miles, splitting the trip into two parts staying overnight at a KOA in Hershey, PA, just off of I-81. Mexico, NY is just off of I-81 so almost the entire trip was on that highway. For those of you not familiar with the road it can be one of the roughest in the USA. It has very heavy truck traffic and these 18-wheelers beat the crap out of the pavement. The quality of the repairs varies greatly State to State with it getting worse as you travel North.

I mention this only to help illustrate how well the RS26 rides on smooth roads and how uncomfortable it can be on rough. On those sections where repairs have not been done or done poorly the rear suspension really beats you up. Keep in mind the unit has Bilstein shocks all around along with Timbrin bump stops on all four corners as well. However, on anything approaching smooth pavement, the Quantum road like it was on air. The heavy duty Helwig sway bars and the rear track bar did their job very well. Cross winds and heavy trucks passing at speed never upset the handling.

All the systems on board the RV are functioning as advertised. Any problems we've had are user induced - we just need to learn how to use each feature better than we do. It's not rocket science but it's not Fire and Forget either. The AC is the only equipment that may not be functioning 100%. It cools and circulates but cools down to the desired temperature only after a long while.

The biggest surprise we got after pulling into our destination (Jellystone RV Park) was the pile of sawdust, metal shavings and bits of wiring we found on the bed. It had fallen from the overhead speaker vent while the unit was bouncing around on the rough sections of I-81. I took the speaker out, cleaned up the remaining sawdust and cleaned up the mess. Fingers crossed, that should be that.

We'll be here in Mexico for a few days then head back. I'll give you all an update after we get home.

Keith

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum