Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I call them the "house battery" and the "chassis battery"

I've learned a few things about these batteries the expensive way, having to replace barely used batteries more than a few times in boats and my old popup camper

First thing I did with the MH was to install physical disconnect switches on both battery systems...right on the battery post.

when in storage, the batteries will self discharge over time, even when nothing at all is connected to them. I've read around 10% per month, and that seems to be about right. So they don't need any more help from power drains such as radio lights, LP detectors, etc...

First thing i do when storing is to push the store side of the "use/store" switch....then a disconnect both batteries with that switch. the only time I don't do that, even if parking for a day or two, is when we are actually using the unit and have food in the fridge.

and these RV type batteries are not true deep cycles, so the generally accepted rule of thumb is no not discharge them past 50% of the capacity
and when they do get discharged below that...permanent damage is done. They won't hold as much after that.

I hate to tell you but taking them to near zero, even one time, really does them in. Yours will likely hold some charge now, but they won't hold nearly as much as they should.

Don't worry though, they may still be good enough for your purposes for a while, especially if you are generally going where you plug in all the time.

Good luck.... and remember to enjoy it.

oh, here's what I think is a pretty decent resource to learn about these battery systems
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum