Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #2019
chunter

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #3753
I am sure some will disagree with me on this, but i thought i may as well throw this thought out there.
I have to disagree with the "cold air drier vent intake kit". the purpose of the banks and KN kit is to eliminate restrictions that are in the intake tube leading to the throttle body. the stock molding of the intake tube has to work in all possible scenarios that ford may see the engine installed in. so the thought is to make is as tight to the motor as possible along with creating a intake signal that plays in to the emissions and cam design.
Banks and KN on the other hand have taken a already installed motor and measured the surrounding area to determine what the best possible design may be that can fit in the space given. along with that they dyno test the design to make sure the torque curve is where they want it based on the design. all this means they are expensive.
The dyer vent idea is based on the theory that you are getting colder air from the front of the rig, and through that ducting getting it to the motor to make more power. the idea is great but i see it as increasing the length of the "straw" that the motor must suck through. i could see this working if the intake were behind the radiator in the engine compartment but it is not. the intake location, stock, is in front of the radiator in a high pressure are, at highway speed, that already has the coldest air possible.
the intake system on any naturally aspirated engine is in a constant state of vacuum when running. the purpose of the intake kit from banks and KN is to reduce that vacuum and make it easier for the engine to fill the chamber on every intake stroke. the only way to do that is to reduce restriction in front of the throttle body through larger tubing and a less restrictive air filter. that will provide much more power than any amount of cold air through a stock intake tube.
Just my thought.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum