Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Electric Step
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #37
donmacd

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin wayfarer 2bw
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8609
Here is what I have learned. When the step extends and hits a curb it is possible to shear the clevis pin connecting the articulating arm to the step. I have sheared 2 of them. They are 1/4x2 inch pins with only one cotter pin hole. Do not buy universal style with many holes, they are too weak. Available at Lowes, 2 for around $3. Or you can get from LCI, 1 for $9, your choice
To replace one you must loosen the motor power plug, open and close the door and pull the plug to stop the motor when the arm gets in the right spot. Takes a little time but it works. Or you can do the following.

Running from the step to the chassis is a green ground wire, breaking this wire removes the ground and the step will not move. Splicing into this wire and adding a switch in a convenient location will lock your steps in or out. I am using a red guarded racing or aircraft style switch, available from Amazon.

I have a single step, relatively easy to work on.
Don

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum