Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You are mixing your technology metaphors here! LOL
You are correct and I apologize for mixing the metaphors, however, I believe the intent of the message was received. When using the iPad as a GPS every action of the GPS app may constitute a data download (e.g every time you go through an intersection and there is a GPS map refresh etc...) The question that you must ask your service provider is whether this is considered cellular or data?

Not sure about your service but my service considers the iPad a data device subject to a lower monthly access charge than a smart phone or dumb smart phone).

They may have changed but the last time I looked my iPad was classified in the same category as my MiFi modem (same service provider) referred to as a Cellular Data Plan. The MiFi modem is a cellular device, however, any data that is transferred through the device (up or down stream) is considered a data transaction and counted towards my plan's monthly data allowance. When using cellular rather than WiFi on the iPad the same applies, any action that constitutes a upload or download using the cellular service is considered a data action subject to the plans allowances.

In my case I will use, what I consider, the proper tool for the proper job. I will use the GPS for travelling and route planning and the iPad for other items such as email etc...

BTW, thinking about it, you may want to verify some of your state laws. Some states do not allow drivers to have access to or visibility of functioning laptops etc... while driving. Some states, for instance California, also have restrictions on the size of the device and where the device can be positioned within the vehicle. I know folks that got burned in CA because they rented a car and put their GPS in the wrong location on the windshield. Although some of the laws are based on your state of registration, some laws such as use of cell phone etc... are based on the state in which you are travelling rather than where your vehicle is registered. In your state the iPad may be considered a GPS device but in another state it may be considered a tablet or laptop and get you a distracted driving ticket.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum