Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I have not used an iPad app, but I do use the mapping apps on an iPhone. The Maps and Google Maps apps have lost signal and stopped functioning in the Eastern High Sierras of California. That's when I had to use my trusty old Tom Tom, with it's built-in maps.

I had always used my Tom Tom with a suction cup on the side window when driving my previous two motorhomes. Since the iPhone 5, (and now the big screened iPhone 6 plus), I have been almost using the iPhone apps exclusively, (just because I can Bluetooth into the stereo, for the most part)! However, the iphone/ipad mapping apps have got me into trouble twice with the motorhome by routing me though ridiculous grades.

Most recently, on President's Day weekend it routed me down Montezuma Valley Road,, (S2), into Borrego Springs. And, last June it routed me though the "" bypassing State Highway 120 entering Yosemite at about 9:45 p.m. It was a steep and twisty road with switchbacks, (not fun in a 36' motorhome, pulling a toad, leaving AFTER work)!

Recently purchased a Rand McNally 7720 on Craigslist for $25. I hope it avoids these steep surprises better than the iPad/iPhone Maps app, and Google Maps.

Thank Goodness that the Ford F53 chassis has that "tow mode" engine braking feature! I really exercised it's functionality during those two adventures.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum