Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I have a 35' diesel coach, a total of over 50' with toad, and have never used any FlyingJ, Pilot, or similar 'truck stop' type fuel stations - I use regular stations everyone else uses, and don't have to be concerned with any 'cents' off card usage - GasBuddy app provides plenty of info for the best priced diesel, and even directions to the station, with overview and streetview within GoogleMaps - which is an excellent planning tool to know the layout of the station, entrance and exit points, and other concerns nearby.
Filling with diesel is even harder than regular at most common stations since many don't have diesel at every post, and some even have diesel at a totally different lane, though that's less common - most keep the diesel on the outside lanes.

I'll agree, though, that diesels are 'easier' to fuel, if you are comparing the placement of the fuel fills. A diesel with it's fuel fill near the front driver side, or even on both the driver and/or passenger front side is very convenient, and actually makes manuevering to a diesel post 'easier' since your rig is less likely to stick out into the travel lanes as much. Most gassers have their fills at/near the driver side rear, or on the rear itself. Many manufacturers claim that the 'rear fill' placement makes it easier to fill since you can fill from 'either side', making placement of your rig less important, but most who have these will admit that the claim is baseless. Since you have to pull your rig basically PAST the fuel post, your rig can now be sticking well out into traffic!

I know this from not only personal experience with a 5vr, a gasser, and now a diesel rig, but because I also transport all size ClassA coaches from the factories to dealers. Filling the fuel is a common aggravation since almost every coach is different, especially the placement within the gassers - some easier, some not so much. When you have to try to gauge your rear's distance to the fuel post, it can take a few tries to keep it within reach of the hose.

No rig design is 'perfect' for every fuel station, even the truck stops, but a rear are fuel fill placement is probably the most difficult. Your comfort level and confidence in handling your rig within fuel stations is the key. Some will always default to the 'easiest', though those aren't always what they claim. I've seen 'RV LANES' that were tighter and harder to maneuver thru than the regular vehicle lanes for cars!

I can't justify spending 10 to 50 cents more per gallon for a 'truck stop' versus a 'regular station' one exit down, 5cents off or not.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.