Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
swrving

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That's your first problem. Why would you be concerned with passing semi's towing a 10,000 lb trailer with that rig? You should be more concerned with the semi's passing you.
The longer the distance between the rear axle and the hitch pivot point the more leverage the trailer has to push the tow vehicle around. You would absolutely need a weight distribution, integrated cam-lock sway control hitch. Don't even think about the friction sway control.
Thanks for the advice - I'm not looking to be a demon on the highways, that said, would like to be able to do 65-70mph, and where I am semis are often only doing 55mph, but the point of being passed by semis is also valid in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
10,000 k trailer is a lot of weight, how big is the trailer?? rear overhang is gonna cause a lot of problems. the semi's are gonna blow you all over the road.

this is why i went with a outlaw toy hauler, to eliminate the trailer.

you probably should move up to a frieghtliner chassis for such a large trailer
The trailer itself is 4200lbs (26' long), but the load it's carrying could get up to 10,000lbs, although normally will be closer to 8500lbs.

The main thing I've found is the Freightliner chassis with the ability to tow this much are nearly $70k more.

But this is why I'm asking before buying! Thanks for the opinions.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.