Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
dhgasman55

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Sorry I did not see your question sooner. Hope you still stop in from time to time.

Dolly towing typically requires the dolly to be attached to the RV first, then drive the towed car onto it.

When disconnecting, you should drive off before disconnecting the dolly's hitch.

This is a safety issue as you don't want the dolly scooting down the road while driving on or off it, or getting smacked in the head with the tongue.

Once the car is on the dolly, then webbing straps typically go over the front tires, which then are usually ratcheted down tight. There are also safety chains/cables that typically go over a suspension component for safety should the webbing break.

The conventional wisdom is to replace the straps annually, so there is some cost to maintaining the dolly.

Most dollys have their own surge braking system, so you don't generally need to worry about engaging brakes on the toad. As well, they have a tail-light system, but in some states, you still need to add tail-lights on the rear of the car.

These days, you can buy wireless tail-lights that attach via magnets to the rear of the vehicle, so that is not usually an issue.

So in some respects, dolly towing is easier as you don't have to contend with dead batteries, wear-and-tear on the transmission, or auxiliary braking systems. As well, you don't have to modify the toad by attaching a (sometimes ugly) baseplate.

Depending on the vehicle and the dolly (some steer and some do not), you may have to either lock the wheel from turning, or let the wheel turn.

One limitation you will have is that you cannot backup with either a dolly or dinghy towed vehicle as they have a steering capability of some extent. This will eventually bind and cause damage to the RV and tow vehicle. As well, when dinghy towing - especially an automatic transmission, you may damage the transmission of the toad by backing up.

This restricts maneuverability, and at some point, you may have to disconnect the tow vehicle.

For example, if the only gas station you can find is only accessible if you drop the toad off, the easiest thing to do is to drop the toad off at an adjacent parking lot, then drive the RV to the gas pump, and then reversing the procedure once gassed up.

Of course, it would be a lot better to find a station where you could just drive forward, but the situation could occur where this is not possible.

And that is the main difference between flat and dinghy towing.

If flat towing, you simply disconnect the toad, then especially if you have help, meet up after fueling, and re-connect and you are off.

If dinghy towing, you have to disconnect the vehicle from the dolly and drive off. Then you need to disconnect the dolly from the RV (although you might be able to access the pumps with just the dolly in tow).

After disconnecting the dolly, you need to have a means of securing it so no one will steal it, especially if your drop-off point is across the street at a WalMart, etc.

Then of course, you would reverse the procedure after fueling.

Either method can be done, but flat towing is much quicker.

Still, if the only option is to dolly tow vs. purchasing a new vehicle, then many people can accept the less convenient dolly method.
Hi There!
Thanks so much for your response. I imagine everybody else also puts a huge amount of research into this. When I finished mine, I came to a few ofconclusions: 1. I didn't want my Wife to have to fool with dealing with what's involved in towing with a dolly. 2. It finally dawned on us that rather than finding yet another car to tow, store, pay for, insure, and maintain, that perhaps our best bet was to find a car we could live with as our daily driver that we could also tow. 3. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS EVER TOWED ANYTHING- regardless of what they towed and how long ago they towed it- IS AN EXPERT. Just ask them.

We just bought a Lexus RX350 about 7 months ago and liked it very much, of course it is not towable. Seems likes very few cars with auto. transmissions are towable. Fewer AWD vehicles are towable. We looked at SUVs/Crossovers made by Lincoln and Cadilac (Consumer's reports basically says they're overprice junk) and by JEEP (reliability ratings ain't so great), reviewed many more towing guides (not all are complete or reliable, it seems), talked with REMCO towing (They're experts-Just ask them) and finally ended up trading our '15 Lexus for a new '14 Honda CRV AWD. Boy, did we get a lot of funny looks from everybody at the Honda dealer! Got lucky there because the CRVs for '15 are NOT towable as they now have CVT transmissions.

We installed an invisibrake which does recharge the battery on the Honda, and everything works great. The Honda is not nearly as luxurious as the Lexus and not quite as roomy, but completely meets our needs and of course was quite a bit cheaper than the Lexus was. In addition, with the Sterling tow-bar and accessories-my Wife, or I-alone can hook up and un-hook the Honda in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for all your help and responses!!

Dave Harvey

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.