Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #55
Shakey

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I have a much different take on slide problems.

The problem with most slides in my opinion, given their weight and cost restrictions, is that they are inherently very difficult to get right. There are a lot of design difficulties to overcome. I'm honestly amazed that most work as well as they do for as long as they do.

It also doesn't help that most motorhome structures aren't stiff enough to provide a solid foundation for slides. These large boxes on wheels flex and twist more than most people think. It's not unlike automobiles from decades ago that if you opened a door and then jacked the car up, you couldn't close the door again until the auto was jacked back down. The body's structure actually twisted enough to easily see with naked eye. And most motorhomes are worse in stiffness so something has to give when you drive them on significantly unleveled roads.

I think manufacturers do an excellent job for the most part considering what they are trying to accomplish with slides. Still, given a choice, I'd pass on them in preference for a solid and sealed wall. There is much less that can go wrong.

You contributed nothing.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.