Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 AM   #31
99dart

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We dry camp on average about 10 weeks each winter. The first year I tried with 2 ea 6 volt batteries. That was bad!! Checked the specific gravity - bad cells. So we upgraded to 4 Trojan 105, 6 volt batteries.

Then I learned a bit more about what it takes to charge 4 - 6 volt batteries. On the generator it takes about 5 hours to bring the battery bank back up to full charge.

Also, figured out the ice maker needs to be off. With a full charge, we can turn off generator at 11:00PM, run my CPAP all night and watch satellite TV for an hour or so. Easily make it through the night - generally can get 10 hours with all the stuff running as mentioned. With just the Whirlpool refrig on, I've gotten up to 14 hours.

The keys for us were solid batteries, with all good cells and fully charged. Installed a Pro-Fill battery water system to keep batteries topped of easily and routinely. With 10 weeks dry camping gotta make sure you got the juice for quiet time.
Good info, Thanks! I found & ordered a pro-fill system for mine also. Two of the four batteries will be impossible to access for fill-ups.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum