Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
My first trip was from the Phoenix area up to Winslow, which entailed a climb from 1,000 ft elevation to 7,000 feet. And of course, what goes up, came back down three days later!

I had not done enough research beforehand, so I was taken by surprise on the way up when I hit one long descent. I had to ride the brakes, and didn't like that at all. So I turned on the Tow/Haul function.

Initially, I scared myself with the way the engine was behaving. So I looked up some threads here while at the CG and was prepared for the trip home (mostly downhill).

As previously mentioned, tap the brakes and the rig will downshift. DO NOT tap multiple times, as you may find it downshifting more than you'd want, faster than you'd want it to.

Once I got the hang of it, the trip was fine. Also as another poster said, don't worry if you're going slower than most traffic. It's your rig, you're in control.

On the way down, I was getting passed by traffic as expected, and even by some truckers and a couple of pickup/5th wheel rigs. But there was a Fed Ex trucker behind me who seemed to like my speed, as he followed for a long way until he turned off.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum