Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #125
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well its installed! Yup finally got off my rear and put the thing in the camper.

Had everything all soldered up and ready to go sitting on my desk here waiting for the last thing. The last thing was to figure out where to get power from. I figured there is a really nice switched 12V power right there: The tank heater pads. We never go camping when its cold enough to use them anyway so they are never turned on and when they are they are thermostatically controlled (checked based on the part # on them). Even if the tank heater is on my little Arduino isn't going to draw enough on top of that to make a difference (50ma @ 5V). So now the monitor can be on or off at the flick of a switch.

Took some time to mount it in the back of the bay where the sewer drain is. I figure that bay is pretty dry:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-27 13.13.09.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	6552
(I'm using really short screws to hold it to the back wall and there is a good 1" or more gap between the back of the screw and anything else back there.)

Name:	2017-08-27 13.27.45.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	6553
That is the "sensor": two pieces of copper tape close to each other. The circuit measures the capacitance between the two (which changes with the fullness of the tank).

Name:	2017-08-27 13.31.19.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	6554
For now protecting the sensor with some black duct tape. For a more permanent solution I may spray some Flex Seal over it.

Name:	2017-08-27 13.13.02.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	6555
There is the circuit ready to be mounted to the wall. (If you'll note behind it is a 9V regulator: Input 12V output 9V. This is because the Arduino circuit I'm using doesn't have the heat sink capacity to drop 12V -> 5V so I put an intermediate regulator in to do 3V+ of the drop.) Yeah I used wire nuts to hold the wires together--what you don't see here is all the electrical tape I covered them with when I was cleaning up the install.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum