Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #130
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Jamie,
How much effect on the capacitive sensing do you expect odd things against the tank wall will have?, like say paper laying/stuck against the inside wall?
You and FW28z have put a lot of thought, time, money, and engineering into this and, while I haven't read the complete thread, I really respect what yall have done here.
Some people would say "Well I don't need that accuracy since I just use it for weekends and relatively short stays", but those like me, that stay in the RV for weeks or months at a time in places without sewer hook ups could really benefit from an accurate, relatively fool-proof, reliable level indication.
Again, I really respect the work yall have done on this and it looks like it could be easily transferable to practically any tank, given access to the tank.
Thanks.

I don't expect much to be stuck to the inside wall where the sensor is mounted since its outside the tank with no protrusions in the tank (like the conventional sensors). Even a little driving should slosh stuff around enough to get an accurate reading. However, so far all my testing has been using plain water; not sure if the different chemical composition in the tanks will change the readings at all (heck from fill to fill the composition will change).

We can't take all the credit: commercial systems for tank level monitoring using this technique have been available for a while--they just are too expensive for RV use. We were just trying to DIY it at a more affordable level (and now that a DIY sensor board is available that made all the difference).

I would think that anyone with an RV would be interested in more accurate level readings from all 3 tanks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum