Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
just to add to the conversation:

I've owned a fifth-wheel with diesel tow vehicle, a ClassA gas Georgetown, and a ClassA diesel Palazzo, our current home...

I also deliver brand new ClassA's from the factories to RV dealers across the country... both Gas and Diesel.

I personally will not 'go back' to a gas unit, but that's for personal reasons: a diesel is a much smoother ride, has air bags, can lower the bags, has the engine and noise in the rear away from the driver/passengers, is more economical for fuel mileage, and easier to fuel as the fills are on both sides and near the driver. Diesel's also tend to have larger inverters and generators, and more batteries, with the generator up front away from the bedroom, and large inverters that power most everything in the coach, including the residential fridge, TVs, microwave, and 120v outlets.

BUT...
from a comparison angle: I would suggest that ANY ClassA coach is capable of going anywhere and everywhere you want to go. There is not a 'less than' capable new coach that can not run the mountains just like any other vehicle, it just may be at a slower pace. I've had gas coaches pass us while in our diesel, and I've passed gas coaches while delivering a diesel. Everyone drives differently, and you will be fine either way you go.
A gas coach, of the same length and floorplan, will be considerably less in cost than a diesel, simply because a diesel engine and chassis are different and more costly. Include air bags and larger generators and inverters, and you'll pay the difference for it. A diesel, though, also tends to have greater resale value, though I'm not sure if it's any 'different' than the relationship between the original cost of a gas coach and it's own resale value, if resale value is of any concern to you in the first place. I would not buy a coach just because of that.

I would buy one that:
A) has a floorplan that suits my needs, and the slides provide the room I desire
B) is in the budget range that I want to spend
C) has the engine platform that I want
D) has the size inverter and generator for drycamping, if I want to be 'off grid' often

yes, there are also differences beyond these simple comparisons, such as where the fuel fill is located, but don't let that be a pivotal part of your decision. Gas coaches get fuel everywhere in this nation everyday, at all sorts of different fuel stations, and all get where they are going. Diesels are the same, yet they have the option of using 'truck' lanes at truck stops, though that is not always a positive, especially if the lots are diesel laden and you have to wait on trucks that are pumping hundreds of gallons of fuel at a time. and, Don't let anyone cause you concern that your new coach will have problems 'getting over the mountains', that's just bunk. You'll learn to drive you coach, no matter diesel or gas, the way it was designed to drive.

in the end, a coach is a coach - it's up to you to enjoy it : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum