Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Rock guard/skirt.

One of the projects I have been meaning to do is attach a rock guard/skirt to the back of the motorhome as last year, the toad got awfully dirty, not to mention rocks and such getting thrown on it as I am towing it down the road.

I actually bought the skirt last year, it's one of those brush looking ones.

However, I have two issues with mounting it like this. First, I'd have to mount the skirt to the bottom of my 4" square tube bumper, and the only way to fasten it would be to run sheet metal screws up into the bumper.

But since the bumper also holds the sewer hose, I would have to find another place for the hose as it would no longer fit into the bumper tube with the screws in the way.

The second reason is it looks ugly in my opinion.

So I decided to build a frame and bolt the skirt up under the RV, about 18" forward of the rear bumper. That way, it will be more or less out of sight - or at least more out of sight than if mounted to the rear bumper.

I bought a welder, a Hobart 140 MAP/Wire feed, about 6 months ago (well, my wife bought it for me for my birthday last year). Up to this point, I had not used it, but finally came up with a project that I could use it. I am an amateur when it comes to welding, and my only experience was 45 years ago when my grandfather taught me to use his Lincoln 220 arc welder.

I guess I was 14 or 15, and I made my dad a wagon for Father's Day by welding up some angle iron, attaching a couple of tires, etc.

So, that means the project has that amateur look to it, but not really that bad. Besides, I ground off the worst parts (I had to get it to fit flush with the frame), and it's under the RV anyway, so it won't be seen.

I was going to weld the nuts on that attach the skirting, but I ran out of MAP gas so the welding phase of the project is done.

I have to paint the other side yet, but once it's dry, I can mount it to the RV.

I will upload more photos as I finish the project.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.