Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
jacksmi

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
I live in NW Florida and have been through Ivan, Dennis, Erin, Opal, the edge of Katrina and several smaller Hurricanes. We treat our RV like an Ark. We prep as if we are going boondocking for a week (In Ivan we had a week without power and 3 days without water). That means fill up everything before the panic shopping begins. That includes propane, fresh water tank, and of course gas. We exercise the Generator to make sure it is good to go. Finally, we empty the gray and black tanks. Then we watch the weather. The beauty of the RV is we can get 50 to 100 miles away quickly. The key is do not get caught in the panic evacuation. Crawling along with an RV and a toad for 12-16 hours is the worst. My rule of thumb is if the RV can be exposed to 50+ mph winds then we bug out for a day. Not only is the RV a large springy wall, I also don't want my neighbors patio enclosure smashing into my RV (yes, my neighbor lost his patio in one of the storms). After the worst has passed we can quickly get home, start the cleanup, and live out of the RV if needed. I have been through several Florida thunderstorms (i.e. 40+ mph wind gusts) with the Jacks down with no problem. I do pull the slides and awning in though. Slide toppers have been known to tear in high winds.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.