Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Just curious how you "prepare" for 30+ hours of 180+ mph winds? I cant think of any structure above ground that could take kind of pounding.
We grew up in the Texas panhandle with days & days of 40+ sustained winds & 60-80 mph gust & I can't even imagine adding 100 mph to that.
I pray for all that cannot leave Florida that all are safe once this is over.
God bless & good luck!

Thanks TT.

You're right in that many buildings can't take 180 MPH winds (fortunately below that already); which is much higher than building code requirements (at least old code). You just hope the eye wall doesn't hit you directly like Andrew hit buildings in this area years ago.

As to preparations, I can only say what we did. On arrival at my parents' house, we moved all patio furniture and outdoor wall decorations from screen room to inside house, then installed hurricane shutters over all windows and glass doors. We also moved their car to highest point on driveway, and went North about 70 miles to family's house where my parents were staying.

There we are doing the same again. Shutters and picking up everything outside that can become a missile. We expect to lose power for extended period so started generator and filled gas cans.

We'll be moving their new Thor motorhome to driveway so it will give us a backup generator with 60 gallons of fuel to keep fridge in house running after storm passes. It's not up to me, but I wouldn't try running the MH's propane fridge through the storm. Plus it's too small anyway.

I expect some damage at my parents' house (at least screen room), but it's just a building. People safety is only real concern I have due to higher winds than I've experienced before if we get direct hit. Latest report shifted Irma a little west so we may luck out.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum