Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Thanks guys for the help! I am wanting something to run TV's, gaming console, coffee maker, hair dryer and small fan. I don't think I want the microwave, but not sure!
JRS950 I will be attending the balloon fiesta the last four days. If you're there during that time I would love to meet you! Safe trip for you as well!
The simplest case for an inverter is the plug in kind Mr. Sunshine uses - and just power what you want at the time... Usually wouldn't handle a microwave - and likely not a hair dryer.

Next is powering a single circuit in the RV - run the output of the circuit breaker - and the 12v supply to the inverter - and connect what was the output of circuit breaker to the output of the inverter...

You've blown past both of those - and are looking to power multiple circuits in the RV... typically a hardwired installation that requires a subpanel - and a substantial transfer switch in the inverter to handle the normal pass through load.

Let's step back and look at what you want to power - and be sure it is reasonable to you... and yes - I've rounded some of the numbers below... but all based on Watts = Volts * Amps...

Typically the microwave is on its own circuit - the coffee maker in the kitchen and hair dryer in bathroom are likely both on the GFCI circuit, and the TV's are likely on a third circuit...
Powering all together (well - likely the hair dryer and coffee maker couldn't be on at the same time - would likely blow the 15A breaker - so just one of those) - would need to provide upwards of 30A... or over 3000 watts.
(Figuring the microwave in the 10-12A range - hair dryer or coffee maker the same - and <5 for TV, gaming consoles, etc... Plug in actual usage numbers from your appliances)
This would draw over 250A from your 12V batteries...

Reducing to one major load - either microwave, hairdryer, or coffee maker - would reduce need to closer to 15A or 1500 watts - still 125A draw on 12v batteries...

None of the large appliances here are on long term - so a normal load of less than 5amps may be more the norm... around 500 watts... or 41amps from 12v batteries.

The above numbers just to give you an idea of both the inverter size AND the battery capacity you will need (batteries should not be drained below 50% normally as a general rule to extend their life) - and what method/how frequently you will need to recharge (via shore power, genny, solar, etc).

Some of the smaller devices (some TVs, fans) may run more efficiently off 12v directly... (if they have a 'brick' that converts 110 back to 12v.. - or just a 12V powered fan...) rather than the overhead and loss converting 12v DC to 110v AC to take it back to 12v DC.

Can be a significant expense if a battery upgrade, and charging methods are included... Anything is doable with suitable application of funds.

Decide what you really want/need... and we can figure the alternatives to get there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.