Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #182
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Gosh, I am surprised about the plastic frame vents. The ventline vents on my coach (they have metal frames) are already pretty cheap, and cost about $30. They must have found something a few pennies cheaper with plastic frame vents.

I can't imagine plastic frame vents would last very long - especially since the idjits at the factory tend to over-torque screws with those air drills they use. For example, the furnace on my coach has an all-plastic frame, and it is cracked in about 8 places due to over-torquing the screws during installation.

Frame integrity of the plastic frame roof vents might be something to put on your punch list to inspect annually.

For most vent covers, you have to drill a hole into the side of the frame to mount them. And if the frame is made of plastic, I can see where that would fail. So yea, I don't think that would work well.

However, as suggested above, the Fantastic brand vent covers mount to the roof rather than the frame. They use four brackets that mount by temporarily removing four of the screws that hold the vent frame to the roof, putting the screws through the brackets, then re-screwing the screws to the roof. It "sandwiches" the base of the frame to the roof. I suppose though, you could crack the plastic frame base if you over-torqued the mounting tabs.

Fan-Tastic vent covers will work with most vents, not just those made by Fantastic. I installed them on my RV as they allow the vents to open fully.

I have two Maxxair vent covers sitting unused in the basement that I originally bought for the vents. I bought them at a really good price, but they would only let my particular brand/model vents open about 50%, so I did not use them.

The Fan-Tastic vent covers are more expensive; but I bought mine last year when Camping World had them on sale for about $50.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum