Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
JimOIB

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
So here’s the story. First, we love the rig - perfect size for us and the cat. Wife is a bit claustrophobic so the full slide works for her. We had the usual QA issues on our 3 shakedown cruises and fixed them ourselves. Then we started out on our trip from NC to NM for 5 weeks. Bigger things started to show up but the slide was the icing on the cake.

Slide had been in and out 13 times this trip and on the second night in Roswell we heard a loud pop in the wall where the slide meets the rear of the coach. Next morning were we packing up, hit the slide retract button and the front of the slide moved but not the back. We heard the motor turning but no movement. Called Thor and they suspected a broken coupling in the bearing block. I was able to push and pull the rear in as wife retracted the front.

Moved on to Santa Fe and manually opened the slide so a mobile tech could look at it. I did a little inspection and found the back of the slide was not on the roller under it - at least a quarter inch of space so the weight of the rear of the slide was on the 3 trax gears...probably not a good thing. Mobile tech called back and told me they didn’t work on the Schwintek because they are too hard to fix in the field. He recommended disengaging the motor and pushing the slide in and apply slide locks.

Ok, being a retired systems engineer this was unsatisfying and I needed to know what was going on. I pealed back the slide wipe and low and behold the motor was loose on top of the bearing block...but wait...the manual says there should be a motor retaining screw...nope, a hole for one but no screw.

I tried to get the motor back into the bearing block but it wouldn’t go flush. It appears there is a pressed sleeve in the bearing block that pushed up about 3/8 of an inch and kept the motor from going in. Must have been that weight of the slide the roller should have taken.

So, going back to NC to see dealer -wife in cab over bunk and me on dinette.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum