Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
DTB

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Backing up a step... what is the issue you were seeing that started us down this path??
First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your response and insight.

What led me down this path? That is difficult to answer without going on and on and on, so let try me summarize.

1. Purchased the motorhome (new) in April.
2. Used the generator for the first time in early June. Worked great.
3. Drove to the Eclipse in August. Started Generator, it shut down after about three minutes with "Generator Alert" showing in the Generator start window.
4. Would not immediately restart.
5. On subsequent restarts the generator would ALWAYS shut down. Sometimes the Generator start window would indicate "Generator Alert" on other occasions it would indicate "Oil Temp - Press"
6. Checked Generator oil, was okay.
7. Discovered that if I started the vehicle and then started the Generator that the Generator would stay on.
8. Drove sixty miles on a very hot day. The vehicle was running as was the generator AND the house air conditioner. Generator would shut down periodically. Sometimes indicating "Generator Alert" other times indicating "Oil Temp - Press".
9. Took the motorhome to National Battery Sales in my area, they discovered a very loose connection on one of the house batteries. Tightened the connection, drove home Generator worked great. Thought the problem was solved.
10. Drove 200 miles, stayed in a campground plugged into shore power. Stayed two days. Drove home. After arriving home I decided to check the generator yet again. Remember I had just driven 200 miles and the batteries should have been at full charge. Started the generator, it quit after about 4 minutes. "Generator Alert" was showing in the generator start window.

I don't want to take it to the dealership because I don't trust them and I don't want to take it to Cummins Onan until I'm sure it's a generator issue or something else.

Anyhow, that's a quick trip from A to B

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum