Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
For 50A rig, get a 50A protector - whether internal or external it will work fine...
To plug in to 30A, plug in the dogbone, then the surge protector (if external).
The dogbone just sends the single 30A hot leg to both hot legs of the 50A - Surge protector doesn't care about that.

Internal vs external - there is no wrong answer - just different opinions...
I chose external - some reports the units can hum - and didn't want that under the bed... at least some newer ones don't have a 'bypass' capability - and if the unit failed - I still wanted the choice to have power without rewiring the rig.

Certainly nothing wrong with the internal choice - my only strong recommendation is to get something... and use it.

My external Surge Guard has the same over/under voltage, miswired, and surge protection as the internal versions. I carry a light chain and lock to fasten it to the pedestal if I want - certainly can be defeated but keeps those looking for an easy walk off away.

It has saved me at least a couple of times I know of... probably many more I never even saw.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum