Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #27
Peterrrr

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
(This is getting serious...)
I keep seeing 400 watt kits that come with all of the stuff that I'd figure to need... but with the inclusion of an 1800 watt inverter (My rig has a 1000 watt setup in it now...)
If I do end up getting one of these kits: is there an advantage to using the higher capacity inverter?
(Or is it an absolute requirement?)
There are different types of inverters. There are inverters with transfer switches built in, as well as with chargers built in with automatic power pass through. The AC output of inverters also differ. Your current 1000 watt inverter was advertised as an Entertainment inverter, thus I am going to assume that they wired it in to run the TVs and is more than enough to run them. Your probably looking at one 15 amp(AC) circuit. Without using the inverter and without re plugging the TVs in, using shore power or the generator you can still use the TVs thus, there is an automatic transfer switch involved.
The 1800 watt inverter may not have the build in capabilities that you currently have. You would need to know what you currently have and what the kits inverter offers. I would guarantee you the quality of your current inverter is probably superior to the one that is advertised with the kit.
I do think you would have any advantage on the purchase of a kit. The kit is forcing you to make use of items which do not meet your requirements. Again it comes down to requirements.. Hope it helps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.