Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #2347
rmblaster

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
We narrowly averted what could have been a disastrous fire!!!

About 8pm last night Myra said she smelled something burning. The smell kept getting stronger and seemed to be centered around the center of the coach, after looking everywhere I finally determined it was coming from under the sink, most likely the water heater which was on 120v. I shut off the water heater at the panel over the door and flipped off the breaker.

This morning I got under the sink, pulled the wood panel off so I could see the 120v heating element, I noticed a small melted spot at the top of the plastic housing. After a lot of bad words I finally managed to get the cover off of the housing. The hot, neutral, and ground wires had twist on wire connectors and they were all taped in one big bundle. The electrical tape was charred and burnt and ther was definitely a melted spot in the top of the plastic housing.

After cutting off the tape I cut, stripped, and put new twist connectors on all the wiring. I taped all the twist connectors individually, hooked everything up and turned the heater back on, seems to be working just fine.

After a close inspection of the melted connection it appears that the six fingered inbred moron that wired the heater didn’t properly strip the wire and there was a poor connection. Weeks of using the heater probably caused the wires to lose connection and start arcing which caused the connection to overheat and melt. The 120v element is difficult to get to since there is not a lot of room to work. I was fortunate to have the tools and extra connectors so I could repair the problem.

Fortunately we were in the coach and not asleep when this problem occurred. We were very fortunate to have avoided what could have been a disastrous fire had we been away or asleep.

Attachment 7769

Attachment 7770

Attachment 7771

This is not something that could have or would have been checked by myself had Myra not smelled the burning wires. Thank you Lord for looking over us!
SuperD looks like we had the same as you say
"six fingered inbred moron " wire my coach lucky my breaker shut off before the connections could melt see post to view pics

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...oach-7668.html
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.