Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
Laco

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I am planning to store my Gemini in Palm Springs for a month (December) and I want to come back to fully charged house batteries. From this thread, it looks like I CAN "maintain" the 2 -12 volt batteries (not sure if mine are parallel or in series but saw "the charger will see them as one big battery") and for my purposes I am looking at a solar battery tender -possibly this one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...rd/transit-350

I'm wondering if the 5 watt panel will provide enough maintenance charge? I plan to have my batteries fully charged when I drop it off at the storage facility (no electric provided but outside). I see for more $$s I can get a 10 watt or even a 15 watt model....any advice would be appreciated.
I guess my other option might be to disconnect the 2 batteries at their terminals (and hope that with no parasitic draw their charge might last 4 weeks) but I'm not that comfortable with wrenches and electricity;-)
Nancy
Because of unknown parasitic drains, I would go for the 10 watt panels, also you will get no benefit at night or if its cloudy. Your 12 volt batteries are connected parallel so your charger, or house sees a single large 12 volt battery. A series connection would yield 24 volts. I am always more comfortable with a battery maintainer or smart charger on any of my batteries. Be sure your solar panels have a 'smart' regulator that will know when the batteries are fully charged and will 'float' the batteries in that state.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum